We are living in the world of globalization and internet. This has definitely made the world smaller but there still remain plenty of reasons to leave home. In fact, these reasons have made studying and living abroad a must. The reason is not just to acquire language skills, but also to become bi-cultural in a true sense.
Studying abroad is not just about learning how to shake hands or mastering table manners. It is a lot more. Many would describe it as an adventurous journey towards self-discovery.
There are a vast number of career benefits associated with studying abroad as well. The sad thing, however, is that these benefits are not fully understood and as a result, people tend to undermine the significance of studying abroad. Or, it is that the curriculums in our schools fail to offer any international component and thus, international study is not encouraged.
Others reason as to why students do not embark themselves on a study abroad journey include social reasons, commitments, financial worries and even lack of exposure.
Whatever the reasons might be, it is important that student travel abroad is promoted through several means. The reasons why this should be done are as follows:
- Study abroad journey is associated with gaining the understanding of different cultures.
- It promotes understanding between different nations.
- Studying abroad is not just finishing school, that is, traveling to far-off places just to learn new languages or basic skills.
- It helps students gain insights into different human behaviors. They become more adaptable by learning to recognize and appreciate viewpoints of others.
- Even though there is a hefty price tag associated with study abroad, scholarships and education loans can be availed to manage costs and increase access to global education. Furthermore, this cost amortizes sooner rather than later.
- The students get exposed to abundant opportunities and develop self-confidence. They learn to stay calm and cope up with situations of all types.
- The students develop excellent learning skills. Learning skills are important in anyone’s journey towards excellence.
- When the environment or routine is not familiar, it leads to the creation of new ideas and as a result, the growth. However, the mind tends to become stagnant when someone gets too much used to living in the same environment.